You can get year-round benefits from a room facing the sun, except during summer. Keeping your air conditioner running in the warmer months can significantly increase your cooling costs.
Learn ways to cool down a room that faces the sun here.
1. Reduced Humidity – Humidity can increase your indoor temperature. You can bring down the humidity level in a room with a dehumidifier or by adding plants. Avoid using your washing machine and dishwasher during the hotter times of the day.
2. Ceiling Fans – Ceiling fans can move cool air from the floor to the ceiling, where hot air stays. Window fans can be used at night to pull hot air out and bring cool air in from open windows.
3. Windows – Energy-efficient double-pane windows do better in reducing the amount of heat that gets through the glass than standard double-pane windows. With reduced heat transfer, your air conditioner doesn’t have to work harder to cool down your space. At Hill Roofing Corporation, we install different styles of energy-efficient windows in different colors to complement your home. You can also count on us for gutter and siding services.
4. Window Treatments – These inexpensive films reduce glare from the sun. Just remember not to install them on windows where you want the sun to pass through in the cold months. Drapes that have a white side that faces the window reflects sunlight. Bring them down at the hottest part of the day to reduce your indoor temperature.
5. Lighting – Light bulbs can produce heat so don’t use them unless necessary. Your air conditioner can cool a room more effectively when the lights are off.
For high-quality and energy-efficient windows, turn to Hill Roofing Corporation, your trusted window and siding contractor. Our team will help you determine the best solutions for your home. We also specialize in door installation, gutter replacement and commercial and residential roofing. Call us at (703) 291-0311, or fill out our online form to request a free estimate. We cater to homeowners in Arlington and Manassas, VA.